Join us at COG on Tuesday, April 20, at 6:30 to paint a decorative sign. We all get to choose from a number of sayings and paint colors, and then let our creative juices run wild (or not). We did this once before, and it was lots of fun.
Category: Home Page
Permanent link to this article: https://crossofglory.com/womens-sign-painting-event-april-20/
This month, the book club is reading the best seller Where the Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens. It’s described as “a coming-of-age crime drama about a girl growing up alone in the marshes of North Carolina.” We’ll meet on Zoom at 7 pm on Thursday, April 22, to discuss the book. Please contact Cheryl Nabors if you need a copy or have any questions.
Permanent link to this article: https://crossofglory.com/book-club-april-2021/
Just a reminder that women’s coloring night is coming up tomorrow, Tuesday March 16, starting at 6:30. We’ll supply the coloring pages and pencils. You supply the skill set (or not), any drinks and/or snacks and the fun!! Marlene found these great benefits for adult coloring:
- Your brain experiences relief by entering a meditative state
- Stress and anxiety levels have the potential to be lowered
- Negative thoughts are expelled as you take in positivity
- Focusing on the present helps you achieve mindfulness
- Unplugging from technology promotes creation over consumption
But the best benefit is that we all get to hang out with each other. Feel free to bring a friend or two. (We will be wearing masks and social distancing.)
Permanent link to this article: https://crossofglory.com/womens-coloring-night-tuesday-march-16/
2021 Annual Meeting — Sunday, February 28, at 10:30
Please join us for our annual meeting on Sunday, February 28 at 10:30 (right after worship). Our chili cook-off is on hiatus this year, but we’ll still have a fun time as we look back on all that God accomplished at Cross of Glory in 2020. We’ll also discuss and vote on our 2021 budget, elect council members and do some other other church business. We’re still working on the format, but hope to do a combination of in-person and zoom. Our quorum is 12, but we’re hoping we’ll have a lot more people than that.
Permanent link to this article: https://crossofglory.com/feb-28-annual-meeting-at-1030-am/
Permanent link to this article: https://crossofglory.com/feb-21-new-member-sunday/
Because we are limiting the number of worshippers to 50 and taking other COVID precautions to make our worship experience as safe as possible, things won’t look exactly like they did last March. (Who remembers what things looked like last March anyway.) However, we can be certain of this – God will continue to show up big time! And, of course, that’s true regardless of whether you’re in the building or watching via Facebook or YouTube live. God always shows up!
While we’ll have to be flexible so we can adjust to changes in CDC and Illinois guidance, here’s an overview of what to expect:
- In order to reflect our love and care for each other, we will all be wearing masks. (Please put them on as you are leaving your car, and make sure they cover both your mouth and nose.)
- The maximum number of people we can have in the worship space is 50. Band, tech people, and helpers total about 15, so we can have 35 additional people for worship each Sunday.
- If you have any COVID symptoms or have been recently exposed to anyone diagnosed with COVID, please take care of yourself and others by staying home and participating online.
- When you enter the building, we’ll have hospitality volunteers taking temperatures. Inside, you’ll find socially distanced seats. (The plan is to have households sit together, but distanced from others.
- You can leave your offering in an offering box near the door of the worship space.
In order to make this work, we need 2-3 volunteers each Sunday to help welcome everyone, direct them to seats and take temperatures. This is a wonderful way to get back involved in worship. Don’t worry it’s easy. We’ll tell you everything you need to know and provide you with everything you’ll need. Please contact Dana O’Brien if you’d like to help. Remember, having enough hospitality volunteers is key if we’re going to worship in the building.
In addition to worshiping inside, we will continue to worship online via Facebook and YouTube every Sunday. These online options are great for anyone who for any reason can’t (or just isn’t ready to) come back to the building.
These are still very challenging times, but I think we’re beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully, as more and more people get vaccinated, we’ll get this pandemic under control. And remember, this is also a great time to live as God’s church in this place. Let’s all take this opportunity to show God’s love to each other and to all those in our community who so need to hear about the God of grace and hope that we follow.
As always, please contact Pastor Dana O’Brien if you have any questions.
Permanent link to this article: https://crossofglory.com/feb-14-in-person-worship-resumed/
Join us this Sunday, February 7, at 9:30, as we look at our fourth group of Essential Jesus readings. This Sunday we explore Jesus’ sermons, with a focus on the Sermon on the Mount, a concise description of what it means to be a follower of Jesus.
It’s also Reconciling in Christ Sunday, so we’ll affirm our own Welcome Statement and explore what the Sermon on the Mount has to say about welcoming.
Permanent link to this article: https://crossofglory.com/sermon-on-the-mount-ric-sunday/
Permanent link to this article: https://crossofglory.com/community-blood-drive/
January 17 — Who is Jesus?
- Truth Beyond Facts: John 1:1-18
- Living Like Jesus: Philippians 2:1
- It’s All About Jesus—Colossians 1:15-23
- What is God Like? Hebrews 1:1-4
- The Big Church: 1 Peter 2:4-10
January 24 — The Need For a Savior
- It’s Sin! Genesis 3:1-24
- A Mixed Bag: Genesis 12:1-20
- We’re all in this Together: Psalm 14:1-7 (Follow-up: Romans 3:9-26)
- God is Against It: Amos 5:1-27
- It’s not Just an OT Issue: James 2:1-26
January 31 — The Beginning Ministry of Jesus
- This is My Son: Matthew 3:1-17
- Deliver Us From Evil: Luke 4:1-13
- Calling his Followers: Matthew 4:12-25
- Who’s He Think He Is? Luke 4:14-30
- With Authority! Mark 1:14-45
February 7 — The Sermons of Jesus
- The “New” Reality: Matthew 5:1-48
- Hungry For God: Matthew 6:1-34
- The Great Communicator: Matthew 7:1-29
- No More Mr. Nice Guy: Matthew 23:1-39
- The End: Matthew 24:1-51
February 14 — The Parables of Jesus
- Have Mercy! Luke 10:25-37
- Rich Toward God: Luke 12:13-21
- Happy Meal: Luke 14:1-24
- Sinners Welcome! Luke 15:1-32
- Uncommon Prayer: Luke 18:1-14
February 21 — More Parables of Jesus
- It’s Like…: Matthew 13:1-58
- The Generous Land Owner: Matt 20:1-16
- I Wanna Be Ready: Matthew 25:1-46
- One Way: John 10:1-18
- The Vineyard Church: John 15:1-17
February 28 — The Miracles of Jesus
- New Wine: John 2:1-11
- Fear Factor: Mark 4:35-41
- Miracle Meal: Matthew 14:22-33
- Seeing and Believing: Matthew 14:22-33
- Serious Fruit: Matthew 21:18-22
March 7 — More Miracles of Jesus
- Lord I Believe: John 9:1-41
- Band of Brothers: Luke 5:17-26
- Scary Story? Mark 5:1-20
- At His Feet: Mark 5:21-43
- Resurrection Power: John 11:1-45
March 14 — The Prayers of Jesus
- How Did Jesus Pray? Mark 1:29-39
- The Joy of Prayer: Luke 10:1-24
- The School of Prayer: Luke 11:1-13
- A Defining Prayer: John 17:1-26
- Pray Hard: Mark 14:32-42
March 21 — The Hard Sayings of Jesus
- Soul Food: John 6:25-71
- A House Divided: Mark 3:20-35
- Prayer Guarantee: John 14:1-14
- Serious Forgiveness: Matthew 18:15-35
- Get Serious: Mark 8:31-9:1
March 28 — The Crucifixion of Jesus
- Busted! Matthew 26:47-56
- Kangaroo Count: Matthew 26:57-68
- Courtyard Debacle: Matthew 26:69-27:10
- It’s All About You, Jesus: Luke 22:66-23:25
- Remember Me: Luke 23:26-56
April 4 (Easter) –The Resurrection of Jesus
- Resurrection Thriller: Matthew 28:1-20
- Gospel Power: Mark 16:1-20
- The Third Disciple: Luke 24:1-49
- Follow Me! John 20:1-21:25
- Fact and Hope: 1 Corinthians 15:1-58
April 11 — The Early Church of Jesus
- A Vision for the Emergent Church: Rev 1:1-20
- Unfaithful of Faithful? Revelation 2:1-11
- Hold On—Until I come: Revelation 2:12-29
- The Dead Church: Revelation 3:1-13
- Lukewarm for God: Revelation 3:14-22
April 18 — The Second Coming of Jesus
- The Greatest Sequel of All Time: Acts 1:1-11
- If I Should Die Before I Wake: 1 Thess 4:13-5:11
- Don’t Be Alarmed: 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12
- Waiting for…? 2 Peter 3:1-18
- Only the Beginning: Revelation 21:1-22:21
April 25 — Who is Jesus to You?
- The Rich Do-Gooder: Matthew 19:16-30
- The Bottom Line: John 3:1-21
- No More Shame: John 4:1-42
- Angry You Man: Acts 9:1-19
- The Essential Jesus Challenge: Luke 9:18-27
Permanent link to this article: https://crossofglory.com/essential-jesus-reading-list/
Cross of Glory Christmas Services
Christmas Eve Barn Service
Our annual barn service was online-only this year, but you’ll still hear the story of Jesus’ birth told in songs and readings – ending with a candlelight rendition of Silent Night.
Christmas Eve Parking Lot Service
We worshipped in the parking lot on Christmas Eve. We gathered on the east side of the lot with some cars in the grass on the east side of the building. Worshippers stayed in their cars and listened on the radio. At the end, we stepped outside to sing Silent Night by candlelight.
Christmas Day Worship
Join us Christmas morning at 9:30. This is a casual fun service where we sing your favorite Christmas songs and celebrate Jesus’ birthday. We’ll be online on both YouTube and Facebook starting at 9:30.
Permanent link to this article: https://crossofglory.com/2020-christmas-services/