Attached you will find the list of readings for the sixth week of our Essential Jesus sermon series — More Parables of Jesus. The first three readings are from Matthew, and the last two readings from John. This week includes three of Pastor Dana’s favorites — the vineyard workers, the treasure in a field, and the goats and sheep. (The readings come with some questions to help you process what you’ve read.)
Essential Jesus Readings – Week 6
February 21 – More Parables of Jesus
- It’s Like…: Matthew 13:1-58
These parables speak of receptive “soil” (hearts) and “weeds” that grow alongside good plants. What factors make for a person to have (or not have) a receptive heart?
- The Generous Land Owner: Matt 20:1-16
Why were the early workers upset? What does this parable tell you about God? Do you feel God has been fair and generous with you? Why or why not?
- I Wanna Be Ready: Matthew 25:1-46
These parables refer to Jesus’ Second Coming. What do you think it means to be “ready”? What are some ways that you are or could be getting and keeping ready?
- One Way: John 10:1-18
Note some characteristics of this “Good Shepherd” in My Bible Journal. Jesus says he is the “gate” for salvation. This is offensive to some people. What do you think?
- The Vineyard Church: John 15:1-17
This agricultural parable has an important message. What do you think it means to “remain” in Jesus? What kind of “fruit” do you think you are supposed to bear?
Reflection Questions About These Readings:
- What examples of the kingdom of heaven here on earth have you seen recently? When has God partnered with you to help bring in a piece of God’s kingdom? How did it make you feel?
- If salvation is really a gift from God, is there any need for good works? Why bother to be good if you can’t earn salvation?
- Do you think preaching and teaching about judgment should have a greater of lesser emphasis in churches today? Why?
- In what ways should a Christian bear fruit? Should all Christians bear the same kind and/or amount of fruit?
- What are the best examples of sacrificial love that you’ve seen in your life?
Remember:Every Wednesday night, except Wednesday February 17, we have a zoom bible study to look at the passages discussed in last Sunday’s sermon. On Wednesday, February 17, we’ll have an Ash Wednesday service in-person and online at 7 pm.
- Additional information and links to other resources is on our Cross of Glory website. Check it out at https://crossofglory.com/the-essential-jesus/