Attached is the list of readings for week 7 of our Essential Jesus sermon series — this week we’ll look at Miracles of Jesus. The readings are all pretty short, so I plan on getting to all of them next Sunday. (As always, the readings come with some questions to help you process what you’ve read.)
Essential Jesus Readings – Week 7
February 28 – Miracles of Jesus
- New Wine: John 2:1-11
Why do you think Jesus did this as his first miracle? What was the result of this miracle? What impression do you think it made on the servants who saw it?
- Fear Factor: Mark 4:35-41
How would you have answered Jesus’ question to the disciples (v. 40)? Has there ever been a “storm” in your life that you needed to trust Jesus to save you from?
- Miracle Meal: Matthew 14:13-21
What strikes you as most surprising about this miracle? What does it tell you about Jesus? Does Jesus “feed” you today? If so, how?
- Seeing and Believing: Matthew 14:22-33
What was the disciples’ reaction to this miracle? Why was Peter not able to walk on the water, too? What do you need courage to face or do?
- Serious Fruit: Matthew 21:18-22
What point do you think Jesus was making with this miracle? Is it really possible to have the kind of faith Jesus describes here? If so, have you seen it?
Reflection Questions About These Readings:
- How would you define a miracle? Do you think they are still possible today? Have you ever experienced one?
- Why do you think people are skeptical about miracles today? Do you think faith and science are compatible? How so?
- Is there anything about the life and ministry of Jesus that seems unbelievable to you? If so, what is it and why?
- Can you think of a time in your life when you were overwhelmed by fear? What happened and what helped you cope? Has faith in Jesus ever helped you at such times? How so?
- When have you ever taken a big step of faith? What happened and what did you learn from the experience?
Remember: Every Wednesday night we have a zoom bible study to look at the passages discussed in last Sunday’s sermon. On Wednesday, February 24, we’ll look at Jesus’ parables.