The Essential Jesus – Week 9 Readings & Questions
Attached is the list of readings for this week of our Essential Jesus sermon series –this week we’ll look at Jesus’ prayers. Two of them deal with the Lord’s Prayer and the rest provide other instances of when Jesus’ prayed. The readings are all pretty short, so I hope to get to most of them next Sunday, but our primary focus will be on the versions of the Lord’s Prayer in Matthew’s and Luke’s gospels. (As always, the readings come with some questions to help you process what you’ve read.)
Essential Jesus Readings – Week 9
March 14 – Jesus’ Prayers
- The Joy of Prayer: Luke 10:17-24
Jesus’ prayer was “full of joy through the Holy Spirit.” How joyful are your prayers? What could make them more so? What keeps them from being so?
- How to Pray: Luke 11:1-13
What do you think Jesus is teaching us about prayer here? Do you pray with boldness and persistence? What do you need to bring to the Lord in prayer now?
- More How to Pray: Matthew 6:5-15
How does Jesus’ model prayer in Matthew’s gospel differ from that in Luke’s gospel? What do you think Jesus means when he speaks as if God’s forgiveness of our trespasses is dependent upon our forgiveness of others?
- A Defining Prayer: John 17:1-26
Jesus prayed for protection for his disciples and unity among his followers. Do your prayers reflect a similar concern for other Christians? If not, what can you do about it?
- Pray Hard: Mark 14:32-42
Prayer was sometimes hard work for Jesus—and for his disciples. When is prayer hard work for you? What makes it difficult for you to pray?
Reflection Questions About These Readings:
- How would you define prayer? Over the years, how has your prayer practice changed? What’s the most important thing you’ve learned about prayer?
- How do you pray today? When do you feel that your prayers are the most meaningful and effective? Why?
- For you, what are the most challenging and meaningful parts of the Lord’s Prayer (Luke 11:1-5 and Matthew 6:9-13)
- Have you ever prayed for God’s help in a time when you were under great pressure? What happened? How has that experience changed you view of prayers? Of God? Of yourself?
- What are the biggest obstacles to praying for you? How can you overcome these?
1. Every Wednesday night we have a zoom bible study to look at the passages discussed in last Sunday’s sermon. On Wednesday, March 10, at 6:30 we’ll look at Jesus’ healing miracles.