Lent 2023 began on Ash Wednesday (February 22nd) with a worship service with communion and the imposition of ashes at 7 pm.
Our theme for Lent is Unfinished: Discovering God’s Call in the Not Yet – a series that many of the congregations in the Northern Illinois Synod will be participating in. Each Sunday in Lent will feature a service based on this theme. Each Wednesday evening will feature a “Soup and Sides” supper at 6:00 followed by a discussion at 6:30. Please contact Dana if you have any questions.
Additional Information for Lent 2023
- Sunday Worship – during Lent, our sermon series is Unfinished: Discovering God’s Call in the Not Yet. We’ll be exploring how we are all unfinished – God is not done with us yet. So who is God calling us to be? Each Sunday, you’ll also have the opportunity to place your prayer concerns on our Lenten cross.
- Devotional Book: This year instead of making available an actual book, we’re using a devotional from Luther Seminary called God Loved the World that you can see here. If your browser won’t display that, you can try to view it here. It is written by professors and others at Luther Seminary. It includes daily devotions starting February 22 and going through Easter Sunday. (The devotional notes the text for each day, but does not actually include it. However, you can get it online by plugging the passage citation into Bible Gateway.)
- Dana’s Daily Lenten Devotion. Each morning, Pastor Dana sends out a devotion via e-mail. If you are not already receiving daily devotions from her and want to start getting them, just email Dana.
- PictureLent Devotional. Here’s a link for a really cool pictureLent daily devotional. Every day, you get some pictures, a reading, some questions and a prayer. You are invited to reflect on scripture with your eyes and hearts using Visio Divina (Latin for “divine seeing”).
- Lenten Soup Suppers. Each Wednesday in Lent (excluding Ash Wednesday), we’ll gather for a soup supper at 6:00 pm and then at 6:30, we’ll continue with a discussion based on the prior Sunday’s sermon focus. You can sign up to bring soup, salad, dessert or whatever you want. Our first Soup Supper is Wednesday, March 1. We have sign-up sheets in the Welcome Room or you can call the office (708-301-6998).
We hope that the above opportunities will help us all make Lent 2023 season one of renewal and spiritual recommitment.