What is The Story? (from www.thestory.com)
“The Story is an abridged, chronological Bible that reads like a novel. There are no verse references, and Scripture segments are seamlessly woven together with transition text into a single grand narrative. For those intimidated or overwhelmed by the unabridged Bible, The Story helps people understand God’s Word more fully and engage with it more easily.
“Simple, accessible, and easy to use, churches are finding The Story a powerful way to engage their people in Bible reading like never before. As The Story brings the Bible to life, the broad scope of God’s message will penetrate hearts. People of all ages will be swept up in the story of God’s love and God’s plan for their lives.”
How’s it Going to Go?
Each week, we will read one chapter in the book. Pastor Dana will post a Reading Guide and (for some weeks) Study Resources to help you get the most from your reading. We will hear a sermon on that chapter on the following Sunday. Study groups are being formed and more information will be available shortly.
Weekly Reading Guides and Sermons:
- Week 1 Reading Guide (Chapter 1: Genesis) - This week we look at Chapter 1 of The Story, which deals with God’s good creation, humanity’s choice to reject God and go our own way, and the implications of that choice.
- The Story – Week 1 Sermon - Subject: The Story - Chapter 1: Creation Speaker: Pastor Dana O'Brien Date: 01/21/2018
- Week 2 Reading Guide (Chapter 2: God Builds a Nation) - This week we look at Chapter 2 of The Story, which deals with God building Abraham’s descendants into a great nation .
- The Story – Week 2 Sermon - Subject: The Story - Chapter 2: God Builds a Nation Speaker: Pastor Dana O'Brien Date: 01/28/2018
- Week 3 Reading Guide (Chapter 3 – Joseph: From Slave to Deputy Pharaoh) - This week we look at Chapter 3 of The Story, which deals with God's ability to take what others intended for evil and turn it to something good.
- The Story – Week 3 Sermon - Subject: The Story - Chapter 3: Joseph, The Dreamer Speaker: Pastor Dana O'Brien Date: 02/04/2018
- Week 4 Reading Guide (Chapter 4 – Deliverance) - This week we look at Chapter 4 of The Story, which moves into the second book of the Bible – Exodus. Here we continue the story of God’s redemptive plan through God’s chosen people.
- The Story – Week 4 Sermon - Subject: The Story - Chapter 4: Moses Speaker: Pastor Dana O'Brien Date: 02/11/2018
- Week 5 Reading Guide (Chapter 5- Deliverance / Chapter 6 – Are We Almost There Yet?) - This week we look at Chapters 5 and 6 of The Story. We finish Exodus as we look at Moses interactions with God and the receipt of the Ten Commandments.
- The Story – Week 5 Sermon - Subject: The Story - Chapters 5 and 6 Speaker: Pastor Dana O'Brien Date: 02/18/2018
- Week 6 Reading Guide (Chapter 7) - This week we look at Chapter 7 of The Story. Here we continue the story of the Israelites long awaited entry into the Promised Land.
Pastor Dana’s Study Resources:
- Audio Version of The Story - A YouTube site with Audio of the NIV Version of The Story
- Journal Questions and Actions - Each week, you can use these Journal Questions for focus your study.
- Map of Ancient Israel - Visualize where things happened
- Map of the 12 Tribes - Visualize the Lands of the Twelve Tribes
- Timeline - Timeline of Events from Creation to Eternity
Other Related Information:
- Enter the Bible from Luther Seminary - Here you’ll find a wealth of resources to help you grow in your faith, add depth to your Bible studies and truly discover the people, places and events of the Bible. Think of Enter the Bible as your guide, a helpful reference tool to accompany you in your reading of the Bible.
- Introduction - On Sunday, January 14, 2018, Pastor Dana described the format of the book and how we will be reading the Old Testament portion this winter and spring. To get e-mail updates and information on Bible studies, be sure Dana has your e-mail address. Read Chapter 1 and join us on January 21, 2018 at 9:30 am.
- Lenten Soup Supper and The Story Discussion - .Join us throughout Lent (starting February 21st) for soup at 6:00 pm and stay for a discussion of The Story at 6:30. There will be no Tuesday Night Study of The Story until after Easter
- Publisher’s Website - Get information and resources on the book, The Story